Sunday, February 24, 2013

Embarras de Riches


If musick be the food of love,
Give me excess of it
That surfeiting the appetite may sicken, and so die. (Twelfth Night)

The spousal unit came home from the store with another bunch of bananas, not realizing that we still had some left over.  I suppose we could have frozen them but I made this instead.

Banana Bread (from Betty Crocker)

 2 large mashed bananas
2/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup milk
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs
2 2/3 cups Bisquick™
1/2 teaspoon cardamom*

(*not in the original recipe but I like cardamom with just about any kind of fruit dessert recipe)

Heat oven to 350F.  Grease the bottom of a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan (I used my biggest one, this makes a large loaf of banana bread).

Stir bananas, sugar, milk, oil, vanilla and eggs in a large bowl.  Stir in Bisquick.  Pour into pan.

Bake 50 to 60 minute or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean; cool ten minutes.

One of the reasons I like this recipe is because I don't have to get out the mixer; a fork or a spatula will do. I have to admit that I stirred the other ingredients together like a muffin mix first, then folded in the bananas.  The trick is not to overmix the Bisquick or you'll wind up with one tough loaf.  Betty puts in a 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, as well.  

The instructions in my 1956 Bisquick cook book call for fewer eggs and more milk and Bisquick.  Perhaps I should have made two loaves for comparison?

4 comments:

tokeberry said...

I've used cardamom with lime juice and honey for fruit salad dressing. Nice for a change from ginger and cinnamon.

Maureen said...

What's Bisquick?

Shay said...

Bisquick is an American baking mix, widely used. One of those "just add milk" for a variety of quick breads, scones, etc.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/bisquick/default

Skubitwo said...

when i was in grad school in the mid-80's, we had some Russian grad students. one of the first things they all did was buy tons of bananas and gorge on them. it was a fruit they couldn't get easily back home. i always think of that when i'm tempted to toss a few bad ones.
skubitwo