Friday, December 15, 2023

Quote of the Day

 


On ';...p'[[[[[[[[[[[[;';///////////////////3'

Upon returning to my desk
having left it temporarily in search of biscuits,
I discovered my cat had written a poem
on my laptop.

It was called ';...p'[[[[[[[[[[[[;';///////////////////3',
and constituted one of her more difficult pieces,
but it was the kind of poem 
which rewarded repeat reading.

I was struck by its experimental structure:
the absence of line breaks,
indeed, not one single space between any
of the poem's 10,000 or so characters.

One of the work's central motifs-
'jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk' -
was, by turns, unsettling and comforting,
while the symbolism of '################',

hinted at our 21st century preoccupation with social media.
And who could not be moved by that devastating final line,
its message of hope piercing the heart like an arrow:
'```````5555======================'.  ~ Brian Bilston


3 comments:

mamafrog said...

Which meant, in cat language, "I am the night, fear me". Also "I am irresistably cute and you will feed me now".

Shay said...

"...you will feed me now" and again in about an hour.

Sam said...

Lovely poem of all your faults and cuddles you forgot....