Tuesday, June 6, 2023

But We In It Shall Be Remembered

 


Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he’ll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words...
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember’d;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us...

2 comments:

Sam said...

I wish my Great Uncles would have talked about WWII, I understand why they did not. Not wanting the people back home to know what they had to do. But still....

May said...

We should remember what others have done for us in war, to both thank them and to learn to never do it again.