Sunday, May 23, 2010

Unlikely Recipes Dep't


Jellied Goose

1 goose
2 large onions sliced
1 tablespoon mixed herbs or herb bouquet
1 sprig thyme, celery and bay leaf
2 tablespoons gelatin to each pint of stock
hard cooked eggs sliced
salt
pepper

Cook goose in just enough water to cover with the seasonings, onions and herbs. When done remove the meat from the bones; return the latter to saucepan and cook for another 15 minutes. Skim off the fat, strain liquid through a piece of muslin or cheese cloth. Mix soaked gelatin in stock. Set a little of the liquid at the bottom of a mold, arrange eggs on it, and cover with more stock. Let this set, then fill with the goose meat cut in even sized pieces, and pour stock over all of it. Turn out when set and serve. Good with cold applesauce.

(Workbasket magazine, January 1959. Submitted by Mrs. John Edwards).

6 comments:

Joann Loos said...

I really prefer my goose roasted. We've done this a couple of times YUM!

Packrat said...

Aspics/gelatins/gelled anything was a big deal then. (I think my grandmothers tried too many of those recipes.) All I have to say to this one if I'd have to be really, really, really hungry to eat it.

FUZZARELLY said...

This sounds just awful. There would have to be a lot of cold applesauce to choke even a bite down.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Packrat.. there was an era when way too much of that jelled junk was on the table and I gag just thinking about it.

Shay said...

I found one for mincemeat mold that I can't wait to spring on you guys.

I've had goose 2x that I remember, and the best way was done by a German friend who basted it in a bottle of wine.

Packrat said...

Now that I would eat! I have had roasted goose. I liked it, but the meat was a little strong flavored.