Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Rugmaking - A "New Method" from 1921

left-click to enlarge

Found in yesterday's issue of Popular Mechanics, September 1921.  This homemade tool is of course a twin to the Singercraft rug making technique that was popular between the 1st and 2nd World Wars.

Sarah Bradberry (sorry, invoking her again) has a number of vintage Singercraft leaflets on her site if anyone is looking for more ideas on how to use this. 

(Note the helpful hint at lower right on how to convert old worn stockings into children's socks).

1 comment:

Bunnykins said...

I don't have this which looks a bit like a hairpin lace needle, but I do have a Singer rug making tool which I think could be used to make loopy 'fur' on stuffed toys, too if care were taken on direction of the rows or trim on clothes. And, I have a Singer wool pinker for use in making rugs from felted wool or, in my case, make trim for fleece garment seams. It clamps to the table and you just run a piece of cloth through while cranking the handle, so width/length of piece is not an issue - and I don't have to stand to cut strips with a rotary blade.My knee hates that.
I think the one in the Rugmaking book is heavier duty and probably makes a sturdier piece to sew down, though. I love tools, but sewing tools are the best.I wonder if this is a take off on the old way of weaving cloth over fork tines?