Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Sewing - A Beach Coat from 1951


"Just a towel - So useful for the beach girl, just a large towel and she has a draped coat for use.  So easy to make." And with summer just around the corner (unless you live in the Midwest, where the weather keeps trying to convince us that it is still February), a timely project.

Left click to enlarge, or have the fun of looking for the original in the Australian Home Journal at archive.org.  You are warned - the link is to their run of issues from 1949-1952.

2 comments:

Lady Anne said...

I made a pool cover-up with a length of terrycloth and some wide bias binding. I held a tape measure in my hands, stretched out both arms, and bought however long that was of terry. I scooped out space for my arms on both ends and shortened it to measure from about my shoulder blades to my ankles. I bound it off all the way round, leaving a "loop" at each arm. I held the wrap in front of myself, inserted one arm, and then pulled the fabric around my back and over my chest, putting my other arm in the second loop. Hard to describe without a picture, but it is a sort of sarong arrangement. Covers me from chest to ankles and is very warm after a dip.

Shay said...

I have been looking at something to cover me while I walk the three blocks to my brother in law's house (they have a pool and I feel guilty getting the car out for three blocks).

Have you been following the So 2 Sew pamphlets that Sarah Bradberry has been posting on her site? Some nice patternless sewing ideas there including two "dressing gowns."

She posts something new every so often, as she gets her hands on it (she's Australian) and I can lose and entire day on her site.

knitting-and.com/crafts-and-needlework/embroidery/vintage-books/