Well, that's a holiday I can certainly get behind, as if I haven't spent enough money in thrift stores over the last years to justify having a holiday for spending more! Best way I know of to keep stuff out of landfills.
We live in an over 55 community, and when a resident dies it seems as if the family just dumps everything into the trash. The Squire and I have pulled more Good Stuff out of the dumpsters! We have personally kept quite a few nice things, but mostly we take it all around to the local thrift shop. One woman was a hoarder and shopaholic, and when she died her husband tossed so much stuff I had to make two trips with my little folding wagon just to bring it all home. There were so many towels - most of them brand new - that it took two loads to wash them all. I just don't understand.
Some people grew up poor and it's a compulsion, and it's therapy for those who feel something is lacking in their lives. I have no excuse, I know I have too much stuff. I'm like a crow and shiny objects, or maybe something is missing? One of my sisters uses retail therapy and I really wish she would get real therapy. It's mostly from thrift stores and estate sales so there's that.
When my parents lived in a senior community, there was a very large room in the main building's basement where survivors could donate for sale such items as they did not care to keep once a parent or relative had passed away. One of my sisters used to refer to it as the Dead People's Room.
4 comments:
Well, that's a holiday I can certainly get behind, as if I haven't spent enough money in thrift stores over the last years to justify having a holiday for spending more! Best way I know of to keep stuff out of landfills.
We live in an over 55 community, and when a resident dies it seems as if the family just dumps everything into the trash. The Squire and I have pulled more Good Stuff out of the dumpsters! We have personally kept quite a few nice things, but mostly we take it all around to the local thrift shop. One woman was a hoarder and shopaholic, and when she died her husband tossed so much stuff I had to make two trips with my little folding wagon just to bring it all home. There were so many towels - most of them brand new - that it took two loads to wash them all.
I just don't understand.
Some people grew up poor and it's a compulsion, and it's therapy for those who feel something is lacking in their lives. I have no excuse, I know I have too much stuff. I'm like a crow and shiny objects, or maybe something is missing? One of my sisters uses retail therapy and I really wish she would get real therapy. It's mostly from thrift stores and estate sales so there's that.
When my parents lived in a senior community, there was a very large room in the main building's basement where survivors could donate for sale such items as they did not care to keep once a parent or relative had passed away. One of my sisters used to refer to it as the Dead People's Room.
Post a Comment