Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Patterns of the Past - "...Her Infinite Variety"


McCall's 3347, from the early 20's; probably 1922, when hemlines and waistlines both began dropping. If you sewed your own dresses to save money (as was usually the case in those days before cheap mass-produced clothes were widely available), this pattern could produce a variety of outfits, as the pattern company obligingly demonstrated.


Second from left, a housedress, with a sports frock next to it, and on each end something dressy enough for bridge luncheons or even church (with the right hat, handbag and gloves).

6 comments:

Packrat said...

Wow, did you notice that the pattern cost 25 cents. They were only 35 cents when I was little. No wonder so many women could just look at an outfit and copy it without a pattern.

A said...

Love the pattern. Twenties fasions where so forgiving.

Anonymous said...

1923, according to CoPA, but impressive you got it that close.

I actually have a copy of this pattern. No idea why since it's not my thing at all.

Mrs Tailleur said...

I just glad sizes have changed. I would hate to say ..I am a size 42. Love the pattern. But I really love 1920's shoes.

T-Mom said...

And of course you could decorate those dressier versions with your own knitted/crocheted/tatted lace.

Shay said...

Lucky sewducky! I love this pattern but I would have to raise the waistline; dropped waists aren't very flattering unless you're slim.

T-Mom, you could completely change the neckline with a collar.