Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday Dinner

Suggested Menu for a March Sunday:

Winter Fruit Cup
Pan-Broiled Steak with Oyster Sauce
Creamed Potatoes
Spinach
Finger Rolls and Butter
Salted Peanuts
Apple-Celery Salad
Olives
Pineapple Delight
Coffee

"Finger Rolls: Bring cup of milk to the scald and melt in it a tablespoon butter or substitute. Let cool, and when lukewarm add teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup warm water in which has been dissolved 1/2 yeast cake. Stir in 3 cups flour. Knead with the spoon and set in a warm place to rise for 3 hours. When light knead with the hands, working in a little more flour if necessary. Make into oblong roll. Cut in pieces the size of an egg. Roll these on the bread board into the usual shape of the finger roll, pointed at the ends. Be sure not to get them too large. Put side by side in a shallow pan and let rise until doubled in size. Brush tops with egg beaten with a tablespoon milk, and bake in a hot oven from 12 to 15 minutes."

(From Fifty Two Sunday Dinners, Woman's World Magazine Co. Inc, 1927).

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for taggin' me. Even thought I've had my blog for nearly a year now, I've never been tagged before. Should be fun.

BTW, I'm right handed but do some things with my left hand. Caused me trouble playing basketball cause I could never coordinate lay-ups.

Shay said...

I knit and eat left-handed because I attended school in Germany as a child; that's where I learned to knit Continental-style, and also learned to hold my fork in my left hand.