Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Patterns of the Past - Vintage Unmentionables


Ten cents got you these patterns in June, 1914, from Needlecraft magazine. If you had to make all of your clothes (except corsets), one-piece patterns like these would be popular. And when laundry day involved removing all ribbons, washing, drying, ironing, and then running the ribbons back through every piece of lingerie, something that would lie flat for the iron was a great time-saver.

This kimono has an unusual cut. It looks like a Poiret evening coat, but it's a bathrobe.

8 comments:

Lydia said...

Oh my goodness, that Poiret-inspired bathrobe is divine.

WANT.

Anonymous said...

They are certainly simple patterns.. real easy to make LOL not that I'd want to wear any of them.

Shay said...

Lydia, I agree. I would love to get my hands on a copy of this. Can't you see it in heavy Chinese silk?

Poshie: actually, about three decades ago I had a pair of summer pj's that were just like that combination. They did not have a button crotch, however (they'd have been a lot more convenient to wear if they had!).

7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

I love that bathrobe!

I gave you a blog award on my blog.

Amy said...

oh my, these are awesome, just imagine my great grandmother would have worn things like this :-)

Shay said...

Deb, I am not worthy ;-) I'm more of a copyist than a creator. But I'm flattered you thought of me!

rabbitIng said...

I love all the patterns you feature, you must spend hours searching for it all.

Shay said...

Ingrid, I have time because a) I don't have children and b) I don't watch tv.

;-)